Last updated: August 20, 2021
- My perfectionism has been flaring up lately. So right now, I'm being "wildly prolific" and shipping 100 new creations before the end of the year. Putting in those reps!
- Working on a new course called Stand Out & Connect. It's about how to differentiate yourself in a noisy world, and create deep emotional connections with your fans.
- Creating new onboarding for the Ungated email list.
- Fleshing out the “True Fan Fundamentals” series, and turning it into an email adventure. ✅
What I'm Reading
- Wanting: The Power of Mimetic Desire in Everyday Life by Luke Burgis - I'd never encountered Rene Girard or the theory of mimetic desire prior to this book, but holy shit. This is one of those ideas that fundamentally changes how you see yourself, the culture around you, and the history of everything and everyone. I don't know exactly how yet, but this will undoubtedly influence how I think about creativity, storytelling, marketing, personal growth, and so many more of the spheres I write about. More soon.
- Self-Renewal: The Individual and the Innovative Society by John Gardner - A lovely little book on the interconnectedness of personal and societal growth and renewal. This fits in super well with what I'm doing on Citizen Within, obviously. But it also plays into the vision for Ungated. If we want to make the internet more diverse and vibrant and free, that work starts within ourselves.
What I'm Watching
- Curb Your Enthusiasm - How did I not know about this show before?? Holy shit.
P.S. This page is inspired by Derek Sivers.
P.P.S Speaking of Derek Sivers, if you haven’t already, grab a copy of his book Your Music And People. Though it’s written for musicians, it’s applicable to all creators. It’s perhaps the most delightful marketing book I’ve ever read. 10/10 would recommend.